accidental damage insurance

Accidental damage insurance

It’s a fact of life: accidents do happen! Many homeowners experience accidental damage, which highlights the significance of having safeguards in place.

Our Accidental Damage Cover is designed to protect against unforeseen incidents, ensuring they don’t result in financial burden. We offer the flexibility to include coverage for accidental damage to both buildings and contents*.

About Accidental Damage Cover

Accidental Damage is cover that you can add to your policy to provide protection against one-off accidental incidents, that cause damage to your household contents or your home.

Accidental damage covers unexpected, unforeseen and accidental events caused by you, your family, wild animals and visitors.

Examples of these mishaps might include:

  • Broken windows
  • Damage to bathroom fittings
  • Damaged drains, pipes, tanks, and cables
  • Cracks in wall tiles
  • Damage to kitchen units (including built-in ones like ovens)
  • Unintentional holes in walls or doors
  • Collision damage from trees or cars

Frequently Asked Questions

Accidental Damage Insurance specifically excludes coverage for certain types of incidents and conditions. Notably, it does not cover damage resulting from everyday wear and tear, which refers to the gradual deterioration of items over time through normal use.

Additionally, any damage inflicted by pets, such as biting, scratching, or chewing, is also not covered. The insurance does not apply in situations where the property is let to tenants, left unoccupied for extended periods, or left unfurnished. It also excludes items used for business purposes. Furthermore, damage that could have been prevented, such as those caused by mechanical or electrical faults or issues resulting from overflowing water, along with harm inflicted by vermin or insects, falls outside the scope of coverage.

This policy is designed to protect against sudden and unforeseen incidents, rather than gradual processes or preventable damages.

Yes, you can still obtain Accidental Damage Cover for your belongings even if you live in a house share. This type of coverage is designed to protect your personal possessions against sudden and unforeseen damage, irrespective of your living situation. It’s important, however, to specify your living arrangement when applying for or updating your policy to ensure your coverage is accurately tailored to your needs. Keep in mind that while your belongings can be covered, there may be specific terms and conditions that apply to shared living environments. Speak to a member of our team via Live Chat, who will assist you with your personal circumstances to ensure you receive the appropriate level of protection.

To include Accidental Damage Cover in your policy, you have the flexibility to extend your existing coverage. If you’re interested in adding this protection to your buildings or contents insurance, we recommend speaking directly with our team via Live Chat during regular office hours for personalised assistance. For those times outside of our office hours, you have the convenience of modifying your policy through the policy manager form available online. This allows you to make changes to your policy at a time that suits you, ensuring your insurance meets your specific needs.

If one of your items is damaged outside your home, coverage depends on whether your policy includes personal belongings insurance, an extension of contents insurance that covers items outside the home. Without this addition, standard contents or accidental damage insurance typically won’t cover items once they leave your property. To ensure protection for items you frequently take outside, like mobile phones, laptops, or cameras, it’s important to check if your policy has personal belongings cover and, if not, consider adding it for comprehensive protection.

Accidental damage insurance by default covers items up to a value of £2,000. For items valued above this default limit, such as high-value laptops or jewellery, will need to be specifically listed on your policy to ensure full coverage. It’s crucial to assess the value of your possessions and update your policy accordingly to protect these more valuable items adequately.

Yes, we provide the flexibility to pay for your policy in monthly instalments. To facilitate this, we partner with Premium Credit, who manages the collection of payments on our behalf. Opting for monthly payments involves setting up a direct debit and entering into a credit agreement directly with Premium Credit. This option allows you to spread the cost of your policy over time, making it more manageable financially.


Policy Booklet

The policy booklet set out all the general terms and conditions that apply to your Intelligent Insurance policy and optional extra cover

*We may not be able to quote in all circumstances. Cover limits/restrictions and/or conditions may apply to the policy. These are clearly detailed prior to purchase, and in the policy documentation for you to determine if the cover is suitable for your needs.

Home insurance provided by names you can trust

We work with experienced and established insurers to give you peace of mind that your home is protected

Intelligent Insurance | AXA Panel Member
Intelligent Insurance | Arkel Panel Member
Allianz Insurer
Intelligent Insurance | Non-Standard Home Insurance
Intelligent Insurance | Pen Underwriting Panel Member
Intelligent Insurance | Prestige Underwriting Services Panel Member