Building Cover FAQ’s | Intelligent Insurance

Jump to section:

Accidental Buildings Damage Insurance

What does Building Accidental Damage cover?

Accidental damage insurance covers windows, underground pipework that you are responsible for (oil, water supply, gas), drains, cables, sanitary ware and fixtures & fittings.  Examples of such accidents could be putting your foot through the ceiling, or burning a kitchen surface with a hot pan. See Cover Details for more information

What is accidental damage to buildings?

Accidental damage is something that happens unintentionally and causes damage to your property.  You can extend your home insurance cover to include cover for any such accidents.

Building Cover

Is wear and tear allowance to my buildings covered?

Wear and tear allowance is not covered.  This is because you are responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of your property.

What incidents or events are covered?

Intelligent Insurance policies offer building cover for the following: - Fire - Riot, civil commotion and labour or political disturbances and strikes - Malicious damage - Impact from aircraft (or other flying devices), or anything dropped from them, vehicles or trains, falling aerials or masts, falling trees or branches, animals - Storm, flood or weight of snow - Subsidence or ground heave of the site the buildings stand on, or landslip - Escape of water from or freezing in any fixed domestic water or drainage installation, heating installation, washing machine, dishwasher, fridge, freezer or water bed - Theft or attempted theft - Escape of oil from a fixed, domestic, oil-fired heating system

What does buildings insurance cover?

Intelligent Insurance will cover you as standard for: - Up to £1,000,000 to cover loss or damage to the structure of your property - Cover for loss of rent and costs of alternative accommodation - Property owners liability cover - ‘Trace and Access’ cover in order to locate and access the source of water leaks, and making good following a repair You can also add accidental damage cover, and increase the limits and level of cover on your policy - speak to one of our insurance advisers to find out more


Can I buy buildings insurance without contents insurance?

Yes you can.  You may not wish to insure your contents, or your contents policy may be due at a different time to your buildings policy. However, if you are buying both contents insurance and building cover, we would always recommend purchasing the two policies together.  Most companies will offer a discount for combining the two elements, but purchasing both together is not essential.

How can I save money on buildings insurance?

Lots of factors affect your home insurance premium.  The area in which you live, the size of your property and your individual circumstances all have a bearing. If you have a good level of home security, such as intruder alarms and approved window and door locks, you are going to be able to qualify for a good level of discount.  Also having smoke alarms can help reduce premiums. Another factor is increasing your voluntary excess.  When considering this option, make sure that the amount of excess you opt for can be met by you in the event of a claim.

How can I find out the rebuild value of my home?

You can obtain a guide price by using the ABI’s rebuild calculator   Alternatively, get a more accurate calculation by using a surveyor.

Do I need to give a rebuild estimate to get buildings insurance?

Yes you do.  Although Intelligent Insurance policies provide cover up to £1,000,000 for buildings (so you never have to worry about being under insured), the premium is rated based on the re-build value of your property. You can use the ABI’s rebuild calculator or get a more accurate calculation by using a surveyor.

What is the difference between the market value and rebuild value of my home?

The market value is the figure that represents a realistic amount your property would sell for on the market at the time the valuation is taken. The rebuild value (or reinstatement cost) is the cost of rebuilding your home if it was completely destroyed from the ground up.  These costs might need to include things such as demolition of what is left of the original property, and clearance of the ground.  Surveyor’s and architect’s fees etc also need to be taken into account when considering the rebuild.

What is the difference between buildings insurance and home insurance?

Home insurance is the term used to describe the combined cover of both buildings and contents insurance.  Buildings insurance covers just the structure of your home

Do I need building insurance if I rent?

No, you will only be responsible for your own personal contents within the property.  Your landlord is responsible for insuring the structure of the property.

Is there a legal requirement to have buildings insurance?

There is not a legal requirement to insure your buildings, but if you have a mortgage on the property, it is likely your provider will insist you do. Even if you own your home outright you should still consider buildings insurance to cover you against the cost of repairing or rebuilding your home if it is damaged or destroyed.  For most people, their home is their most valuable possession so it makes sense to ensure it is adequately protected.

What is buildings insurance?

Buildings insurance protects you against the cost of repairing or rebuilding your home if it is damaged or destroyed.  It covers the structure of your home (the roof, walls and windows) any permanent fixtures and fittings such as fitted kitchen units and bathroom suites.


What is considered an outbuilding?

Sheds, garages, workshops, summerhouses and other garden buildings are classified as outbuildings.

Are my outbuildings covered?

Generally yes, and we will ask you about your outbuildings as part of putting a quote together. Intelligent Insurance offer cover for outbuildings up to £40,000 each. We can provide building insurance for more cover if required. For policies purchased before 01/12/2018, cover is up to £10,000 each for outbuildings. We will need to know the type of structure, its construction and how it's used. Note: an outbuilding is a building which does not form part of the structure of the main building of the home and is used for domestic purposes. Outbuildings do not include buildings which are open on one or more sides, any building which is not on a permanent foundation or base, tree houses, inflatable buildings or any structure made from canvas, PVC or other non-rigid material
OK, we just need a few details to get started... Step 1 / 5
  • We will send you this quote by email and may contact you by telephone.

    In order to provide you with a quote we will capture your personal details. Full details about how we manage your data are shown within our Privacy Notice.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.